A lot of chapters are in between 32 and 20 that I ended on last time. Why are we not reading all of the Old Testament? Are there significant events in the chapters between that could effect the meaning of the following chapters, such as reasoning behind their behavior?
32: What does that mean, "gods who shall go before us?" I do not know how long Moses has been on the mountain, or if he has come down to tell the people not to make the alters next to worldly gods/idols. God is really angry. He wants to destroy all of Israel and start over with Moses. I wonder if this could have been a slight test of pride towards Moses. If Moses had answered "okay," I would have seen that as selfishness, not wanting to deal with the constant complaining of the Israelites any longer. vs. 14 states that God changed His mind after Moses talked to Him. Is that really true? This is not the first instance that God has been "consulted" by a human. It brings into question God's omniscience or supports His mercy.
Well, Moses stops God from destroying all of the people, but then has the Levies kill their own people because they were not on the Lord's side. I think on the mountain Moses had too much faith in the people, like the psychological view that when you look back on past experiences you see them as better than they were, so when he sees the truth he is angry as the Lord was. I wonder who survived the killings. Surely it was not only Moses, Aaron, and the Levies left. God keeps to His word and plagues the people for disobeying Him.
33: In the first few verses, God says He must stay away from the people or else He would consume them because they are stiff-necked. Is that the same as stubborn? I find it funny that God must keep Himself away. I see it as a sort of temptation for Him. He wants to destroy evil, things against Him, but knows that we are human and will falter. The temptation is so great to destroy that He must steer clear of it.
I love the phrase in verse 11, "thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend." God personalizes these events to show His compassion. The people saw that He possessed gentility and not just the wrath from the mountain. Moses spent all this time with God, but is now asking for God to show him His ways so that he may KNOW Him. This goes back to my rabbit in the previous entry. Moses talked DIRECTLY to God and still felt he did not know Him!! How can we be expected to learn through only text and prayer? I am confused as to what Moses wants. God says He will go, but Moses responds with, "if you will not go..." Fortunately, God understands and makes a promise to Moses that satisfies him, so I am satisfied.
34: I picture the beginning of this chapter as a father talking to his son about something the child broke. "Go son and give me some glue so that I may fix this vase you have broken." The child drops his head and walks out of the room saying, "yes, father" softly. Moses is doing this same thing in my mind.
The next event seems to be a reiteration of the ten commandments just modified. The orders are now focused on keeping the Lord sacred and His words Holy. I can only imagine the glowing face of Moses. I would be a little scared, too. I feel that the orders God gave should still be followed to some degree today. Most people give what is left over for God. But here, He specifically says that He is to receive the first fruits from any aspect of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment