Leviticus: Main concern is worship practices officiated by the high priest Aaron and his descendants -- the Levi. The way the Hebrews named books by first words is seen today in literature, too. Many poems that I read are named the first line because the author did not give the work a specific title. I think this is the book that Dr. Piggott said most people do not appreciate and I could see why because of the lack of stories, but for history or political science majors it could be quite interesting. It seems that the different translations can really skew who the laws are targeting.
1: I've noticed that the Bible sometimes repeats itself in conjoining verses but mixes the order of the words. Does this mean the translations are getting it wrong and are trying both options, or is that how the original writers wrote it. Are not turtledoves the symbol of love? I find it interesting that that is one of the birds available to sacrifice. If it had been a dove, that would have foreshadowed Christ. However, pigeons are dirty birds now days. Were they like that during this time?
Whole burnt offerings and grain offerings represent levels of worship not atonement. Translated to the New Testament, we still have sacrifices - us.
The fellowship/well-being offering is thanks to God. You do not receive anything. New Testament: Jesus giving his body up unites God and man.
10: God gobbled them up with fire! Did He make it last long or just instantly gone? Where did they go? I wonder if many people had been slacking and they were chosen to be the example of "unholy fire."
They carried them by their tunics, so literally picked them up? Moses denied these men mourning of their loss, but allowed the community to morn. Mourning, to me, always seemed like a big deal.
16: When it says that he should take two male goats from the congregation, I wonder who offered theirs up. Would this be considered tithing? If only two were chosen out of the many how was it decided, or did Aaron do many offerings so that the people would cycle around? Always the number 7. I like three and five, those are my astronomical numbers. All of this blood sprinkling and rubbing must have been really gross. Did they get infected with diseases by touching the blood?
I love the idea of fasting and feel that it is a very strong force against problems. But my major problem is that I love food, too. Not more than God, but more than the problem at hand. I participated in three 30 hour famines, where we went out and did community projects. I liked the atmosphere of helping, but the Lord says to not tell anyone of your fasting. That's my favorite part about it. I look upon my Egyptian Coptic Orthodox friend who fasts at least once a month. She is so good at it and her family takes it very seriously. It makes me wonder if God's order for the fast became a way of life for the people or if it still meant something to them even after the hundredth time.
There was no sacrifice that could cleanse the people from intentional sin. Only once a year could they use a scapegoat (which they had walk off a cliff!) that would "carry" their sins away.
23: Festivals: God takes the sabbath seriously because it is the first thing He mentions. He knows the people might get caught up in the celebration, so He reminds them beforehand about keeping His day holy. I wonder if they days were exact, or if the people decided to add that in there later. Even during the festivals and giving to God, God still includes the poor. He has the people harvest just inside the edges of the field so that the poor and alien may have food. He ends that decree with: "I am the Lord your God." This is very powerful and a sort of signature that God gives. He is the one telling the Israelites how to do things, not other gods.
Atonement: the people must deny themselves before the presence of the Lord. In today's world we try to do this every day. There is a popular saying "I am Second" that people refer to when trying to put God first, but I believe it is much greater than that. Denying your self does not mean God is first and you are second, it means He is first and there is no one below who can compare. Denying yourself should be to give up your ALL, just as these people stopped everything to worship God on this day.
Tabernacle: this one seems to end the celebration with final holy convocation and giving offerings to the Lord. I'm sure there is more too it.
Is the booths in verse 42 the same booth in verse 34? If not, what does it mean to live in a booth because God obviously sees it as something to be set apart from.
No comments:
Post a Comment