First, they took a census? What did that entail back then? Now, the census is used to see growth and class change, etc. but what was it used for in Bible times? I continued to read and it said fighting ages for the males. I guess this foreshadows quite a few battles if they need to know how many people they have to go up against. This I feel starts the beginning of their doubts. If the people felt they needed a head count, it was easier for them to have little faith because they could compare numbers, instead of having faith that God can overcome any size army.
Numbers: "In the Wilderness" or more humorously "Book of Complaints"
Deuteronomy: "These are the words" also "Second Law" this second name is appropriate because it deals with the second generation Israelites, who must learn from the first generation's mistakes to try and make it to the promise land.
God said He would punish the people until the third and forth generation, so I am interested what all they will deal with and if they are willing to stay the course.
Num. 6: In class, I was the Rabbi for this section. Granted to was late when I wrote the questions, I was seriously wrong about alot of things, and I missed some really good details. First, is the fact that men AND women could participate take the vow of a nazirite. This meant that the people were able to be close to God, just as a High Priest is. When I initially read the passage, I totally missed the words "to God" and filled in "from God." There was a huge difference once I got to class... Having gone to Rome, I could see how being cut off from wine would be such a big deal in their culture. You are barely able to drink anything else, and with wells being difficult to draw water, this was a serious action. The chapter continues with rituals that are similar to the sacrifices in Leviticus. The every end has been made a song. Are those verses repeated later as well?
13-14: This is the scoping out of the promise land. One of my questions included why the men decided to change their story about the land AFTER Moses decided to enter into the land. If the people were not very scared to begin with, why did action make them nervous. I can relate a little because I know if I were told to do something rash, I would question the motives, but have learned throughout the years that most actions minuscule in relation to God's plan. However, why did they stay so long, and how did they do it unnoticed? Milk and honey represent wealth because of the cows and bees from all the fertile land.
The people of Israel complain so much! If I were Moses I would send them out just to rid myself of them! Joshua (whose name means Savior) stands up for the Lord and tries to remind the people that God will give them the land, and what do the people do...They threaten to STONE him!! I find that horrible. Joseph was doing what was right and the people blatantly refused. I feel like we do this alot in today's society. If someone offers up a message from God or even simple advice that we must trust in the Lord, we threaten them with ill words and laugh in their faces saying what do they know. I feel as though we do not give people enough credit for having a relationship with God. Even God gets angry with the people for doubting Him, after all they have been through. Moses talks God through the anger, but not without consequence. God refuses to let any of the first generation into the promise land (He also plagued the men who gave the land a bad report). God has eternity, so I feel holding the people out for a few more years did not hurt Him. In His mind, I believe that He wants us to have little faith sometimes so that we might be in awe when we come back to Him.
20: This section of the chapter makes me feel bad for Moses. He has had to deal with these awful people complaining. Then in a moment of weakness and pride, God takes the promise land away from him, too. I would throw down my staff and say FINE! and be very angry, but I feel Moses was only disappointed.
Deut. 6: Verse 4 is apparently a very significant verse that the Jews recite and post many places. I did not know this when first reading, so I skimmed right over it. It is their "statement of faith." Pigott described what each of the three focuses mean: the heart as we might think is emotion, is actually conscious or the mind. and the soul is the self or whole being. The rest of the chapter is Moses retelling the second generation what God has done for them and how they should stay the course. I think Moses was putting his heart and soul into telling them this because he truly wanted them to succeed, unlike their forefathers.
7: The beginning of the chapter sets out the guidelines for what the people must do when they reach the Promise Land. Utterly destroying all other nations seems pretty harsh, and it was. but I have to keep thinking in God terms. These people must have been a great bad influence for God to want them gone from the earth. The question is why did He have the Israelites kill them? Could He not have done it Himself? My second thought when reading the section is how unfair it is for the outsiders being killed, not to be the "chosen" people. Moses gives no better reason for those people to be chosen, especially since they have been so ungrateful. He does however give credit to God for being loyal to His promise. Moses tries one more time to tell the people that if they simply follow the Lord's instructions and have faith, then He will guide them to safety in the land. Unfortunately, we know that doesn't exactly happen...
34: This last chapter in Deuteronomy deals with Moses' death. The Lord shows him the land that he will never enter. Some find this mean, but I think Moses appreciated it. He got to at least see the land that he worked so hard to get the Israelites towards. I would have wanted to see it. I find it interesting that the writer comments on Moses' sight and vigor. In class, apparently this was a funny subject...I still don't understand, but that's alright. Joshua then becomes the next leader, but the writer remembers Moses fondly, saying no one can compare to him, even thought they disobeyed him a ton.
No comments:
Post a Comment