Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oxford, 313-20; Josh. 2; 5; 6; 7; Oxford, 355-56; Judg. 4; 6; 7

"Historical books" Influence of Deuteronomy Theology
Joshua: conquest and allotment of the Promise land

2: This is Rahab's story.  I never thought about the two men being such bad spies.  How long it took the king to know there were spies in his land, I do not know, but they were not trying very hard to be sneaky.  An interesting fact that is mentioned in the story but not emphasized is that Rahab owns her own house.  For a woman to have property during Bible times was almost unheard of.  Her reaction to the spies was very smooth.  She feared the Lord, so she made a pact with the two men to spare her family.  The way I remember it was that the two men offered to save her family because she helped them, but reading it again that is not true.  Rahab was looking out for herself.  She took advantage of these, not so smart, men to protect her family.  I have a feeling she did this quite often because of her status.  In class, we talked about how this story is viewed both positively and negatively.  Number one, the men stayed with a prostitute. Number two, by not destroying Rahab and her family the Joshua was breaking the covenant and the herem.  However, we see those point through modern eyes.  Their culture stated that if a sin was done for the greater good, then it was not sin.

5: The imagery of the people's hearts melting for the Lord is a good image.  I like that it is contrasted to hearts of stone or cold because to melt it must be warm.  However, the image here is taking life away.  Is the image suppose to be positive or negative?  Are the fearing the Lord only because He can destroy them or are they creating faith?  Verse 2 brings up some questions about circumcising twice...  It could be translated figuratively, which is probably preferred, or literally, which is interesting to think about.  The verses following the second circumcision clear up the confusion.  The new covenant is a clean slate for the second generation Israelites.  They have had to suffer in the wilderness because of their parents, so now it is their chance to make things right with the Lord.  Instantly, when the Israelites completed the covenant, the Lord blessed them with real crops and not just manna.
I love reading about holy ground because I am a firm believer in no shoes during church or any place that God is being called to join with us.

6: When I first read this, I am remembering Sunday school, but knowing more about rhetoric I see the circling as intimidation.  Even if the people of Jericho thought the Israelites were crazy, the thought of past events are in their minds and they have a little fear.  One week is not long enough to believe that they will not still attack, especially without the invention of time.  Verse 17 would have once been startling to me, but after reading about the culture and herem a "city devoted to the Lord for destruction" does not seem so harsh. At least they knew it was coming.  It does bother me that God could not have already killed the people.  The sword is a major image when dealing with the ways of the Lord.
I think it is interesting that the author continues to latch prostitute onto Rahab's name.  Though she rescued the men, I feel as though she was still looked down upon in their society.  She knew this, too and that is why she was so direct with the men when she made them promise her safety.
Joshua's oath creates a sense of foreshadow.

7: The people's hearts melted even further this time, into water.  This supports the claim that that phrase means to fear, not admire.  The plea and argument Joshua tries to make does not phase God, unlike previous pleas.  God is just.  He knew the Israelites sinned against Him, and He will uphold what He promised.  Verse 12 is great.  Because the Israelites have weak actions, there is no possible way they would be able to come up against their enemies.  The verse makes me think about my life and how I am living.  Would I be able to stand up against my enemies?
God already knows who took the items, but I believe He has Joshua judge the tribes methodically to prove that He is calm and patient.  He will wait until the wrong-doer has been revealed. God carried out the punishment for sinning against Him.  Achan was stoned to death and everything that was connected to him was burnt.  Though it seems harsh to burn everything that was connected to Achan, I have to view it as a purge.  The people must rid themselves of everything that has the ability to tempt them.  This episode could be seen as a warning for the people about obedience.

Judges: When I was younger I thought the book of Judges depicted episodes when God judged the people.  Though this is partially true, I know now that it centers on certain humans that will lead, both good and bad.  Why is the book not ordered chronologically?

4: Deborah-she is a prophetess.  I think it is neat that she is the wife of Lappidoth which means "woman of fire." People are very touchy about women's roles in the church, and I don't understand why when there are many stories in the Bible that depict women saving the day or trusting God more than the men.  Barak obviously understands that the people need her guidance if he is unwilling to go to battle without her.  The image of her sitting under the palm tree makes me think of a book Siddhartha.  He contemplated a lot under trees.  I find it interesting that against nine hundred chariots, the word of a woman is not challenged.  Previously, Israel will question man's judgement against huge armies, but when Deborah says "go" there is no question that she speaks from the Lord, and the people are not afraid.
What does "turn aside" mean?  Pigott told us that the translation in verse 21 is wrong.  Sisera was not sleeping.  This is supported in chapter 5:25-27, the song of Jael's victory.  The women in this story seem to be secure in their knowledge of what the Lord wants.  There is little description of them praying or asking God for guidance like Moses or Joshua did.  They knew full well their actions would be in the interest of God.  I admire this security and think that is why they are never questioned.  In honors, we talked about leadership.  I think Deborah and Jael are perfect examples of how if you are a servant to God you will become a leader in the world.

6: The cycle of disobedience begins again.  In class, I got the impression that Gideon was being a coward because he was using the wine press, but it was because he was hiding from the Midianites.  This is not cowardice.  If he had not hid, his family might not have had food.  I can understand Gideon's plea with the Angel.  If you have been the underdog and suddenly God wants you to be a warrior, I would have some questions, too.  I love how God consumes the offering in fire.  I think that is the coolest thing.  It is a definite sign of acceptance from the Lord.  If I were Gideon, I would have smiled at my efforts to please the Lord and Him accepting.  Gideon's father was very clever when he spoke against the people.  This gives a little insight into why God might have chosen Gideon; his background was deeply rooted.  Verse 25 begins the give and take that Gideon and God will go through.  When Gideon asks for a sign, God will also ask something from Gideon in return.  I do not know why exactly or what this represents.

7: Why is his name suddenly Jerubbaal?  I wonder, during the drinking sifting, how the men felt that knelt to drink.  Were they disappointed that they did not get to fight?  Was fighting not an honor?  I think God chose the men who were humble.  Pigott was trying to tell us something about the men that lapped like a dog were chosen, when, as a child, I thought the men who knelt down and used their hands were chosen.  Apparently the translation switches them, but both could be supported with reasons why they were chosen.  I do not like that translation looses so much originality.  It is starting to worry me that what I read could be seriously wrong...makes me want to learn Hebrew.
God recognizes that the men might have some doubt, so He gives them an opportunity for courage.  I think this is very kind.  God is does not expect perfection, He knows we are human and that doubt is part of our nature.  Only when the facts are presented and His people still do not believe does He get mad.  It is interesting that Gideon includes his own name in the battle cry.  This could be taken as pride, but I think it is a symbol for the Midianites to know who has overcome them.  I like that God turns the Midianites against themselves and does not make Gideon and his followers actually kill them.  It shows much more power instead of force.

No comments:

Post a Comment