I think it was kind for Nathan to save Bathsheba and her son, even if he had alternative motives. He could have plotted to kill Adonijah, but chose to save someone instead. There is no proof that the swear Nathan is talking about exists, but David does not know because he is old.
I wonder what Adonijah and his followers felt when they heard the trumpet during their feast. I'd be embarrassed and angry. I bet Adonijah is regretting not inviting Nathan or Solomon to his little get together, as the saying goes: keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
I think Solomon's response to Adonijah is appropriate. Solomon does not want trouble and knows that Adonijah is sneaky, taking things without asking, so to be a worthy man should keep him in line. However, I can see the contempt building up in Adonijah's eyes.
2: Here, David is indirectly telling Solomon of all the people that have done David wrong, and Solomon should "know what [he] ought to do to them." Whether or not David actually reigned 40 years is probably not true, but is symbolic for a "perfect reign." After reading this last chapter of David's life, I do not think he was a very good king, but I think he was a worldly one. He did a lot of things that were right in the sight of the community but not in the sight of the Lord. His last words to Solomon had little to do with how God will help him and more on seeking revenge for the king.
3: Dr. Pigott always says if you are an "astute" reader than you will notice things that Solomon is doing wrong. Unfortunately, I am not an astute reader so most of what I will point out here is things I was told. I still believe that Solomon was granted wisdom from the Lord, even if most things seem coincidental or on the verge of wrong-doing.
First, Solomon takes a foreign wife. Next, he does not get rid of the high places. These are places where the towns people could worship, but most worshiped false idols. God comes to Solomon in a dream, and many find this suspicious because dreams were not always true. I agree that God, himself does not normally appear in dreams. I do find it wise that Solomon acknowledges his own weakness of inexperience and asks God for help. The phrasing in vs. 15 is deceiving because it makes it sound like it didn't really happen. Then there is the baby trial; the footnotes tell us the name Solomon is not mentioned, so this could have been an independent story that the author used to show Solomon's new wisdom.
9: I am assuming that Solomon has now built the temple. God again reiterates that Solomon must continue to walk with the Lord and keep His ordinances in order to remain favorable. I see all of this repetition as foreshadowing of a downfall. Solomon tries to do what he sees as right because he feels he has God's wisdom, but as we all know our own agendas can get in the way. God realizes this and follows up with a threat.
11: Solomon has a big problem with foreign women. I think the juxtaposition in vs. 2 is funny; Gods decree and then Solomon's blatant disobedience. The women have manipulating powers and God knows this. He tried to protect the people, but Solomon was turned away from God by his women. What power we have. I find it really strange that God does good in the name of David. Is that the author providing justification or do we really know that God saw favor in David thought he did wrong things? Here we have a perfect number three for the enemies against Solomon. The rest of chapter 11 tells us what happens with these enemies.
Solomon caused God to split the kingdom and leave only Jerusalem for the ancestry of David.
I don't know a lot of history so these enemies do not make sense to me. I wonder what these people did to Solomon's reign. I know they made trouble for him, rebelling and such. I find it interesting that God gives the other ten tribes to Jeroboam. What did he do that God chose him, except for being "able."
12: Rehoboam has taken the kingship and the people are wanting mercy fro Solomon. The answer that Rehoboam's friends give him in comparison to the elder's advice is ridiculous. Why he listens to them makes no sense. I haven't read anything previously about Rehoboam but I feel he was catered to by his father and that when the elders try to tell him to change those ways, he is reluctant. I could see his fall coming because it would have been too good to be true if he had chosen the right answer. However, how many times do we ask the advice of others and then turn out backs knowing it is the right thing to do.
I would agree with the people and rebel against the king's house because he has not listened to the people. Jeroboam was biding his time until the people were disgruntled enough to accept him.
I just think it is so funny how the author portrays chain of events. They are about to fight, but God says to Shemaiah "tell them to go home," and they all go home. I wonder how much time passes between the events. How does traveling affect what is told and the timing of things? It seems so simple in the text but I'm sure it wasn't during that time.
Jeroboam was doing so well until the golden calves and the festivals. Dr. Pigott told us why this was significant to his reign. The placement of the calves was to prevent his followers from making the pilgrimage to Jerusalem. He did not want them seeing other nations and leaving him.
18: Personally, I have always looked at Elijah with greatness. He seemed to know what to do and to be there when needed. I'm interested to see how well that belief sticks out. Or if these chapters show any characteristic of Elijah.
It's really funny the big long speech that Obadiah gives to Elijah. He does not want to be killed, but does not give Elijah a chance to comfort him. Then as soon as Elijah says everything will be fine, Obadiah shuts up and complies. He wasted all that time begging for nothing, showing his lack of confidence in the judgement of the Lord. Were all the followers of the Lord this scared of offending God?
Ahab and Jezabel are a bad couple. Neither of them are any good.
Elijah presents a challenge to the people to prove their idols are false. I think this is really clever and bet God and Elijah got a kick out of watching the people squirm trying to call upon their false idols. The people's revelation and killing of the false prophets brings rain to the people. I love that Elijah runs in front of the chariot. I remember that part and have loved it ever since. When I was young my favorite animal was a cheeta and I wanted super speed as my power, so the running always stood out.
19: Elijah was scared of Jezebel's threat of death... why? what power did she have, was she skilled in hunting down people? Again the power of women.
I think it is great that God prepares Elijah for his journey. It is support that even in Hebrew times they knew God provided for those faithful to Him. Vs.11 - 13 are well known in describing the characteristic of God. I like that He comes in the whisper because it shows control because Elijah already knows His power. If I were Elijah I would fear the people, too and want to die then, feeling my role in the world had been completed. Imagine if you were living under Aram and had the choice to serve Baal. God saved only those that refused. Would we refuse?
21: I would be horrified if I were Naboth! But I am surprised that Naboth did not see his peril after refusing the husband of Jezebel. Did she not have a reputation of killing, or did she clean her hands of it? I am surprised that Ahab was able to turn God's heart, but I still appreciate God continuing the destruction on to Ahab's house. Ahab was pitiful and only did what was in his best interest. I wonder if he even believed in what he humbled himself for, he must have if God believed him. I don't believe Jezebel got what she deserved. I know I am not one to judge, but she was the instigator of all things bad and killed a lot of people and all that happens is that dogs eat her. I know that was terrible for the times, but I expected a little worse.
22: Where in the earlier chapter did it say that the prostitutes were going to bath in the blood? The footnotes say that the prostitutes add obscenity to Elijah's original word making Ahab's death more infamous. I want to know why they want to "celebrate" these bad kings? I would want to look down upon his death, saying he deserved it, but I feel that is not how the people see it.
These chapters added to the prophet's history. I just got my classes ready for next year and I really hope I will be able to remember this stuff for New Testament.
I don't know a lot of history so these enemies do not make sense to me. I wonder what these people did to Solomon's reign. I know they made trouble for him, rebelling and such. I find it interesting that God gives the other ten tribes to Jeroboam. What did he do that God chose him, except for being "able."
12: Rehoboam has taken the kingship and the people are wanting mercy fro Solomon. The answer that Rehoboam's friends give him in comparison to the elder's advice is ridiculous. Why he listens to them makes no sense. I haven't read anything previously about Rehoboam but I feel he was catered to by his father and that when the elders try to tell him to change those ways, he is reluctant. I could see his fall coming because it would have been too good to be true if he had chosen the right answer. However, how many times do we ask the advice of others and then turn out backs knowing it is the right thing to do.
I would agree with the people and rebel against the king's house because he has not listened to the people. Jeroboam was biding his time until the people were disgruntled enough to accept him.
I just think it is so funny how the author portrays chain of events. They are about to fight, but God says to Shemaiah "tell them to go home," and they all go home. I wonder how much time passes between the events. How does traveling affect what is told and the timing of things? It seems so simple in the text but I'm sure it wasn't during that time.
Jeroboam was doing so well until the golden calves and the festivals. Dr. Pigott told us why this was significant to his reign. The placement of the calves was to prevent his followers from making the pilgrimage to Jerusalem. He did not want them seeing other nations and leaving him.
18: Personally, I have always looked at Elijah with greatness. He seemed to know what to do and to be there when needed. I'm interested to see how well that belief sticks out. Or if these chapters show any characteristic of Elijah.
It's really funny the big long speech that Obadiah gives to Elijah. He does not want to be killed, but does not give Elijah a chance to comfort him. Then as soon as Elijah says everything will be fine, Obadiah shuts up and complies. He wasted all that time begging for nothing, showing his lack of confidence in the judgement of the Lord. Were all the followers of the Lord this scared of offending God?
Ahab and Jezabel are a bad couple. Neither of them are any good.
Elijah presents a challenge to the people to prove their idols are false. I think this is really clever and bet God and Elijah got a kick out of watching the people squirm trying to call upon their false idols. The people's revelation and killing of the false prophets brings rain to the people. I love that Elijah runs in front of the chariot. I remember that part and have loved it ever since. When I was young my favorite animal was a cheeta and I wanted super speed as my power, so the running always stood out.
19: Elijah was scared of Jezebel's threat of death... why? what power did she have, was she skilled in hunting down people? Again the power of women.
I think it is great that God prepares Elijah for his journey. It is support that even in Hebrew times they knew God provided for those faithful to Him. Vs.11 - 13 are well known in describing the characteristic of God. I like that He comes in the whisper because it shows control because Elijah already knows His power. If I were Elijah I would fear the people, too and want to die then, feeling my role in the world had been completed. Imagine if you were living under Aram and had the choice to serve Baal. God saved only those that refused. Would we refuse?
21: I would be horrified if I were Naboth! But I am surprised that Naboth did not see his peril after refusing the husband of Jezebel. Did she not have a reputation of killing, or did she clean her hands of it? I am surprised that Ahab was able to turn God's heart, but I still appreciate God continuing the destruction on to Ahab's house. Ahab was pitiful and only did what was in his best interest. I wonder if he even believed in what he humbled himself for, he must have if God believed him. I don't believe Jezebel got what she deserved. I know I am not one to judge, but she was the instigator of all things bad and killed a lot of people and all that happens is that dogs eat her. I know that was terrible for the times, but I expected a little worse.
22: Where in the earlier chapter did it say that the prostitutes were going to bath in the blood? The footnotes say that the prostitutes add obscenity to Elijah's original word making Ahab's death more infamous. I want to know why they want to "celebrate" these bad kings? I would want to look down upon his death, saying he deserved it, but I feel that is not how the people see it.
These chapters added to the prophet's history. I just got my classes ready for next year and I really hope I will be able to remember this stuff for New Testament.
No comments:
Post a Comment