4: This miracle makes me think of the one when a woman was told to make bread for a man of God and the man blessed her and told her she would never run out of food for her or her son. Obviously, I cannot remember the names, but I am sure you know who I am talking about. The miracle could also be seen as similar to the water into wine, filling the vessels.
What does the woman's answer in verse 13 mean, "I live among my own people?" Women are always surprised and doubtful when people tell them they are to have a child. The text shows little time passage through verse 16 to 17, whereas with previous couples, they had to wait a bit before the child arrived. I wonder why the woman did not tell her husband. My guess is that she knew he would get angry and harm Elisha, when the wife had faith that Elisha could heal the boy. I find it so interesting the woman's calm demeanour until she reaches Elisha, but then she is still composed when she confronts him about what he has promised. I question the actions and commands of Elisha when he says do not talk or answer to anyone. Of course, Elisha knew that Gehazi's presence would not heal the child and makes Elisha's presence more meaningful.
In class some people mentioned the question about where does the child's soul go when he was dead. I do not think about that stuff because it really doesn't matter to our lives now. We know that Jesus has died so we have a pathway to Heaven. I am not worried about my soul being trapped or what not because God is in control of that, not me, thankfully. I believe souls are not of this world and that their part in our lives does not come until death.
I have always said that sharing a meal with someone is almost the most intimate thing you could do to get to know someone. Anytime I want to know someone better or further a relationship I invite them to eat with me. There are two food stories side by side and I think that it is significantly important. We get to know the character of Elisha and how the people react to him. Again one of his stories parallels to Jesus; he is able to feed hundreds from a small meal.
5: I find it good that the young girl was devoted to her king after being taken captive. Though her life might have been better, she showed no contempt in her words that were recorded. I don't understand why the Israeli king thinks the Aramean king wants war. He overreacts and Elisha has to calm him down. Apparently the Jordan was not the cleanest river and that's why Naaman was so appalled. I like that it was his servants, however, that talked him into completing the task. It is as though Elisha knew Naaman wanted a scene, so instead he gave him the simple task of washing to prove that God does not have to work in grandeur ways. I think it was very smart of Naaman to mention that his job requires him to bow to other gods. If I had just been healed, I do not know if my job would be the first thing I would think about.
The last line of this chapter makes me think of a saying "washing me white as snow." It's kind of nasty now to see that they compare leprousy to snow... One of the questions in class was if followers of God should be wealthy. I believe it is a personal question because of how people deal with the wealth. Gehazi wanted the wealth only for himself. Elisha uses this to show how that kind of attitude will only lead to destruction. Wealth can be inticing and if we fall into its trap then we will be made unclean.
22: Josiah was the greatest because he did what the other kings could not do, and destroyed the high places. When it says that he was 8 years old, did he truly reign or was it the high officials until he was competent. How did Josiah turn out so well? Being a psychology person I would look to his up-bringing, and the events around his childhood. Are there stories in the Bible or other texts that share that information? The footnotes say that the book found might have been Deuteronomy because of the clothes tearing and his realization that they were doing wrong, but that part is a little confusing. When Josiah says that their ancestors did not obey the law, is he realizing the source of their misfortune?
Here again we have a woman prophetess who delivers the word of the Lord. Also, a description of a merciful and just God. Because Josiah was ignorant but also penitent God spared him and his people, but would continue the judgement on later generations. That is a long time. Makes me wonder how long it took God to avenge the wrong that the Israelites did years ago.
23: I love the opening imagery with all the people gathered around their king worshiping their true King. After gathering he destroys all the temptations of the people from the high places. I bet a lot of people were grateful - the sons and daughters of Topheth - and angry at the same time, especially since these idols had been around for centuries. All this defiling and progress makes me think a little of FDR's 100 days. He got so much done and helped so many people, though it was reconstruction and not deconstruction it was still helpful. It is so cool to read that this one man changed the path of the people that had been going on for generations. By keeping the passover, he radically altered these people's lives. He was a great king.
heehee teraphim...under the saddle.
This is the first time I have seen a name for the Pharaoh in Egypt. The one who kills Josiah should be known since Josiah was such a great man.
How could his son be so terrible? Was Josiah neglectful? The footnotes mention that no religious faults are stated, only poor treatment of the people. I wonder why that is, normally the authors blame bad things on the gods. It is sad to read the lines "just as his ancestors had done" because it is as thought the sin will never stop, which it won't. Makes me wonder if my biography would say that...
24: I am not a history person because I can never remember; therefore, most of these chapters are the history of why things happened and how the land got to be as it is. It's hard for me to stay focused on the religious aspect with the frequent change in power. I think about all the bad times during this era and how the people must have felt. Here in America, our change in power is some-what smooth without war or revolution, but all of these kings and different laws must have been exhausting.
25: It is ironic, as the footnotes state, that Israel's first victory - Jericho - will become a place of their defeat. I would not want to be taken by a guy whose name means "chief of the butchers..."
All in all, a lot of change in hands and killings and revolts have taken place. I think there will be a turn of events soon because God doesn't let things go on too long and the authors don't either.
No comments:
Post a Comment