11:29-40: I think it is interesting that many people of the Bible make deals with God. In today's world, we cannot simply say, "hey God, if I do this will you do this for me?" It is so strange to see the people treat God as though He will do as they say if they offer something to Him. It is probably the culture and the fact that most of the stories were written in hindsight, but it is still strange. There is a psychological phenomenon that states we always remember the past better than it actually happened. I wonder if that is what happened here. Jephthah's daughter seemed to be very calm when she heard what her father had done. It shows the courage of the women again. Though she "bewailed" her virginity, the text does not describe deep sorrow. It simply states that she asked, departed, and the deed was done. The virginity was special because it signified the end of Jephthah's line. The daughter was unable to continue her father's legacy. I like the Israelite custom of praising the daughter because she showed great courage in obeying the Lord's vow. I bet if she had complained, the father would have followed her and not the Lord. This brings up the question of why Jephthah would make such a vow. Who was he expecting?
14: So, does verse 4 mean that God planned the failure of Samson? I feel sorry for Samson. God put in his heart the love for this woman. Samson, I feel, only wanted some fun with the riddle. The wife was very manipulative. Samson was trying to be fair and not tell anyone the answer, but she used her womanly ways to get him to tell her. Samson did nothing wrong except for be the man God wanted him to be, so that He could complete his act against the Philistines. The spirit of the Lord was with him when he killed all those men. Does this mean God allowed for Samson to take the garments? Previously in the story about the lion, I had not realized until class that when Samson touched the dead lion he was breaking the laws of Leviticus, never touch a dead animal.
16: What does the taking of the door posts symbolize? That he owns the place? Yes, I agree that Samson is a playa, but so were lots of other "dignified" followers of God. I think it's funny that Delilah does not try to hide her motives. She asks him straight out for his weakness. How does Samson know the true source of his power? How can he not recognize that Delilah has tried everything he has told her. I think he does not know the true source and that when he tells her to cut his hair, he does not realize this is the true source of power. Verse 20 confirms this saying "he did not know the Lord had left him." That is sad. I also didn't know that Samson was brought out as entertainment. I thought he was imprisoned between the pillars. I have been to Rome and the Coliseum and this makes me remember all the "rooms" they kept the animals in.
19: Why did the girl's father want to keep the man so long? I would guess it would be so he could keep his daughter longer, but it says he greeted the man with joy so that doesn't quite fit. Maybe he knew that the man would get caught on his way home and tried to wait out the bad guys. The author really wants you to know that the people of Gibeah were Benjaminites; he repeats it a lot. The way the master talks to the old man suggests he is a sly man. He says things to make himself look good. Verse 23-24 are vulgar because of the contrast between the men and the women. The old man did not want harm to his visitor, a man he did not know, but was willing to give up his daughter to these pigs of men. I find that appalling and wonder if it is just that certain culture because in previous stories fathers have more respect for their daughters. The following verses until the end are horrible. The very end, the twelve pieces, symbolizes the twelve tribes and a call to battle against this cruelty. I can not even imagine delivering or receiving such a package. It makes me sick.
20: The people are mad about this crime, but wasn't it the old man who offered her up in the first place. It is unclear to me on what they are trying to take revenge. Is it good to be left-handed? I am glad they decide to ask God how to fight instead of jumping into battle. And, when it says the Lord answered, does this mean through the lots or actual voice? Verse 22-23 is unique to the previous Israelite actions. They did not waiver in faith. They simply asked God what to do and they did it. I think this is because they took revenge very seriously; there was a direct purpose behind the battle. This wave on wave battle style is parallel to probably how the concubine was raped. It is the perfect pay back because it lets the Benjaminites feel the horror of seeing another wave of Israelites coming near. God allowed for this to happen. His symbolism is powerful. Also, the Israelites actually destroy everything as the herem states, which is a first. I think it's interesting that the author added in verse 44 that all the Benjaminites that died were courageous fighters. They are setting apart that cruel group from the rest of the nation, trying to say that even though it was only a group, all must die.
21: The Israelites are trying to keep the twelve tribes but refuse to marry Benjamin, so they fins a tribe that did not fight. I think it's ridiculous that they kill off Jabesh-gilead people to repay Benjamin. It is so wrong. Then, it's even worse that they try to cheat the system and tell the father's that it's actually their fault for not giving up their daughters. The Israelite's logic is really skewed and I think the only reason people went along with it is because they didn't know what else to do. Verse 25 sums it all up saying that the people "did what was tight in their own eyes." They did not take consideration of God or ask for a leader.
We skip Ruth because it is not originally in the Hebrew Bible.
1Samuel: literary masterpiece with some genuine history; David presented as victim.
1: I feel bad for Hannah being bullied for something that is not her fault, but this story should bring strength to those who feel God is unfair. God always uses suffering for good. Hannah will be a light to others. However, I do find it good that Hannah's husband was genuine to both women and did not discriminate as most men did during this time. I know Eli is getting old, and Pigott described his blindness as both spiritual and physical representing the corrupt priesthood. It is interesting though that the prayers were not normally silent. Now days, most everyone prays silently to themselves. We would all be mistaken for drunk! There are so many references to sex in these chapters that without the annotation I would misinterpret most everything. I don't understand all the puns either, only that most of them have to do with Saul.
3: The word of the Lord was rare signaling again the decline in priesthood. Why did Samuel not know the Lord at that age? He was practically living in the church. Eli is slacking? Verse 10 says the Lord stood there. Does this mean Samuel saw him, if so did he know he should die after seeing the face of the Lord? I think it's interesting that Samuel ends his recount of the dream with, leave God alone He knows what is good. Samuel is an innocent boy but knows the ways of Eli and is hoping to sway his actions. Because of his trust in the Lord, Samuel was known and listened to throughout the land. Pigott told us that Samuel is the only Judge to receive a call from God. This makes him special to me and I think it is because he was so young. The young always trust authority and do not question motives.
4: The Israelites have come to think the arc is what saves them. They have forgotten that God is behind the arc. I wonder what it was like when "the earth resounded." How would the writer describe such an outcry? It is so interesting that the main thing all the tribes remember is Egypt. That one episode is what scares entire nations. When the Philistines capture the arc, they feel they have defeated the god of the Israelites. I think God allowed for this to happen to teach the Israelites that they don't need the arc to trust in the Lord.
5-6: The first image the Philistines see is their god face flat in front of God. That just makes me laugh. I bet they were all freaked out and those that might have started believing in God were laughing, too. There is a cycle of plague that God sends with the Arc wherever it goes. Is that not nasty that the priests tell them to include five gold tumors similar to the ones God plagued them with? Why not gold earrings like everyone else asks for. Makes me think it is a back-handed gift, made of gold but in the shape of a tumor and mice - their plagues. I think it's great that the people always do tests to determine if it is God or chance. In today's world, even if we set the standards, we would still rationalize the outcome against God.
The act of setting the untrained cows loose makes me think of new Christians that we expect to do good or to know their way. Only God can guide the blind.
8: Samuel continues the trend of good fathers, bad sons. I feel as though God is tries to make Samuel feel better about the complaints of the people when He says the people have turned from the Lord and not him because I do not think it is true. God gives the people what they want, but warns them that they are making the wrong decision. This is mercy. God tries to give them a second chance but the people are consumed in their own thoughts. If I were part of the people I would be second guessing myself if it was that easy to get what we wanted. Nothing is ever that easy.
Pigott told us the three reasons why the people wanted a new king: Samuel was getting old, other nations have kings (the Israelites did not understand that God was their king), and they wanted a Warrior to lead them into battle. This is the beginning of kingship. Even after warnings they still refuse. God is a just God and gives them what will exactly happen.
I feel as though we do this. We think we need something so badly that we rationalize in our heads "how could God turn me down," when in reality God is saying no.
No comments:
Post a Comment