Intro: That is so cool to know that the structure of the Psalms has a name. I always found it odd that they repeated so many thoughts. And, of course being an English major, names of literary devices always interest me. I'm glad these scholars sat down and compared and labeled the different types of Psalms because I could never imagine doing that now, it would take so much time. Again, I enjoy that the books were chosen for personal use - weddings, prayers, literature, etc. I use to not like poetry because I was terrible at writing it and even had my parents write some poems that were due in middle school, but after Brit Lit with Dr. Brunner I have had a new found love. I think that these books will support that new love as well.
Psalm 148: makes me think of that song that repeats "praise the Lord oh my soul, praise the Lord." I grew up in the Church of Christ and the songs did not repeat much because they are hymns. Now, contemporary music, they seem to not know how to praise God. These Psalms, though they use the same phrase, each line has a different meaning. It's not the chorus over and over again.
86: I once heard my grandmother pray and it was unlike any other prayer I had heard. This was because in her age you praised God first and then asked for comfort, safety, or whatever was needed at the time. I feel that they trusted God alot more because they did not linger on things wanted, they knew He would supply. Reading this prayer of David has reminded me what a prayer really means. I have been slacking on how I pray and why I pray. The simple act is not enough, if your heart is not in it. When you hear mega-churches pray, do they really mean all they say when they praise God. Should prayer be a private thing?
80: I think this Psalm is interesting because the people are confused yet they continue to praise God. They put little hints here and there about the great things God has done, so why would He want to destroy that. They keep their hopes high because they know something must be wrong.
Psalm 106: I feel this is a reiteration of history and what God will do for his people. It is very encouraging if I was feeling hopeless or separate from God.
109: when reading these, sometimes I can never think of anything to challenge the scripture with. Anthony Ooi has such a different outlook on the way things are said and written and I wish I could see through my happy-go-lucky way of life. This man is being cursed by his fellow men and is calling out to God. Why was this recorded, how did it even survive?
Solomon: I have never read Song of Solomon [Songs] and many people get that look in their eye about it being about sexuality, so I am interested to see what it holds. After reading some of the poems in Brit Lit it shouldn't be too bad. I don't know why some Christians see sex as a taboo subject. I think the world would be a better place of parents and church members were more open with their experiences and information about sex. Then maybe kids wouldn't experiment so much. If we could teach them early on that God plans for it to be a joy after marriage, they might believe us. I don't know if that is anything this passage is about but it made me think of that. There is actually a funny story about being a librarian and the types of books you find, but it is too long to detail here. Just know: Jewish love...
I do not believe these would be sung to Baal because they never would have made it in to the canon.
2: I see this as a love poem. A woman awaiting her beloved. It is very lovely.
4: Here we know it is the man's bride. He is comparing her to the things of their world because that is all they know. The poetic language is very basic but detailed. He tries to use the best possible, most honorable comparison because she creates something wonderful inside of him. I would not shy away if my husband did this for me. These passages were used in weddings and in celebration, so it is appropriate to have them in the Bible. The verses are a part of tradition.
7: The gazelle is again repeated here. I wonder what was significant about that specific animal.
Proverbs: advice is always nice.
Since this is a journal type thing, Katie (my roommate is sleeping right now)...I just got some gummy octopi from my Secret Santa, so I am super awake. Lots of sugar!! Unfortunately the crash will come.
Back to Bible - Lady Wisdom is what chapter 8 is labeled as. It should be timeless to every generation, lets see if it holds up.
8: I like that there is a woman portrayal of God, or atleast a part of Him because then when you combine all the parts, God is everything and everyone. Crossroads symbolizes decisions. "Wisdom is better than jewels," I like that verse. Verses 22-23 depict that parallelism that is throughout the psalms and proverbs. I do find that great the wisdom was set up with God. That God is the ultimate Wisdom. Rejoicing is a daily delight. I think a lot of people forget that rejoicing God should bring us delight. Sometimes I get stuck thinking I have to or that I feel guilty for not, but when I do praise Him out of my heart it brings great Joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment