Sunday, December 9, 2012

Oxford, 1057-58; Jer. 1; 7; 20:7-18; 31:31-34; Oxford, 1321; Hab. ch. 3; Oxford, 1327; Zeph. ch. 3

Overview:  There was a lot of fluctuation between kings.  I wonder what God's purpose was in all of that.  How much did this change of kings effect the people?  Did everyone know who the king was all the time, or did it take a few years?
I would just like to say when reading the online overview, I was really confused as to who Nahum was...I didn't know it was a book in the Bible, sad day.  This book holds a lot of the characteristics of God.

Zephaniah focuses on judgement, but God includes some hope which is always nice.  It actually makes me think of the Hunger Games because they bad government guy says the only thing that makes the districts rebel is hope; therefore, it must be squashed.  Luckily for us, God gave us hope and a choice to trust in Him.

Habakkuk is for the people.  It is questions they would be asking.  I would like to read these minor prophets someday.  Hopefully I would be able to understand them.  That is the only reason I wish I had gone to a Christian school because maybe I would know the history of Biblical people a little better and be able to know what is going on.  I feel that since I took American and World history that Bible should also be included in my studies.  Habakkuk continued to have faith when God did not give details of His plan.  I think this is good for the people to hear.  They might not be able to understand or control situations, but they can control their faith.
Jeremiah could be an example for the young people because he questioned God about his age and God said not to worry.  Judgement --> hope --> confession.

1: I would love for God to tell me directly that I will not fail in my quest to further His kingdom for He will be with me.  I can envision God calling to Jeremiah and Jeremiah responding will faithfulness.  Not much to say.

7: Verse 11b is kinda funny because that is how we justify not doing bad things: God is watching you.  I can see God's anger and frustration.  All He asked these people to do is to follow Him and trust in His ways, and they deliberately disobeyed.  Then He says to Jeremiah, "they will not listen" because God knows their hearts.  He must win them over once more through terror in order for them to see His goodness.  I get scared just reading what God wants to do to these people, utterly destroy them.  I wonder why God feels this way.  I mean I would be mad, too but He seems angry all the time.  She we be this angry with the people today that they are not following God?  That they will receive worse punishment than this in Hell if they do not turn to Christ?  That's a little much I think.  But, God's anger is justified.  Will He have mercy?  Does He always have mercy during these times?

20: This is a serious consequence for throwing Jeremiah into the stocks...Why is Jeremiah complaining?? I would have thought it should be the Pashhur.  This is very confusing.

31: I don't quite understand the grape part.  The last part that is so famous about writing the law on our hearts seems to me as though God will put His word in us and we are not to say to someone that they must know God.  That is contradictory to what our purpose on Earth is.  Why is it phrased this way?  Am I missing a link to why God is saying we are not to tell others to know Him?

Habakkuk
3: That was encouraging, sort of. I see these men of God who have such faith and when you read it in a book, it feels as though time goes by quickly but they had to endure this for years.  Comparing myself to these people, would I be able to withstand the test?

Zephaniah
3:  I don't have much to say about this.I feel like God repeats the same thing in these Minor Prophets.  Is it the same event spread out or is it different events and the people never learn?  All this hope and they still don't trust God.  They deliberately disobeyed God so they deserve what was coming, so there should not be a question of why.

No comments:

Post a Comment