Ruth
1: Naomi has nothing. In the beginning, I do not see her as desperate. The footnotes call Ruth "noble-minded" but I don't see anything that describes nobility, maybe loyalty. She could have had a better life but maybe Naomi was all she knew and that is why she chose to stay. The beginning of the book Their Eyes are Watching God is sort of like Naomi's greeting when she reaches Bethlehem. No one accepts her and they all talk because she has lost everything. 2: Apparently there are a lot of rules about gleaning that aren't mentioned directly so Pigott filled us in. What Boaz lets Ruth do is almost unheard of because she was a Moabite. Boaz is a noble man. Whether he is doing it for publicity or out of kindness is unknown, but he seems nice. I envision Ruth being the innocent young woman and Naomi the scheming, pushy, pity mother-in-law. 3: If I were Ruth, I would be scared to death that I would be rejected. Luckily there is little nudity and Boaz understands Ruth's actions. 4: I love how Boaz talks to the next-of-kin. He is so sly. What he does is clever and great to honor Ruth and her mother-in-law.
Esther
"Miss Persia" contest, that is kinda cool. The beginning is as though you are reading a fairy tale with descriptions of the setting. I am glad Vashti refused because if she hadn't it would have been another example of submission. I find it odd that they think if they do not suppress what the queen did then all the women of the land will act out. Did they have that little control over the women? The way they did this was like how Daniel was thrown in jail because the king's attendants convinced him to make a law. I think it is dumb that the king did not bring her back and abolish the law. Instead, women were expendable and so he simply went out to find another. Verse 9 I was too innocent to understand but it means pleased sexually. Then a pamper party starts! Sweet Mordecai really is the hero of this story. The texts sets up the story well by laying down custom before Esther disobeys so that her actions are understood. Power of women once more as Esther speaks in favor of Mordecai and the men are hung. Haman makes me mad. He is so snooty. Destroying the Jews instead of Mordecai because it was beneath him. I could see chapter 4 happening with all the people running around trying to figure out what is going on. Chaos and confusion but I picture Esther as being calm, planning on how to solve the situation. Or, she is helpless and awaits Mordecai's instructions. When people say God has a reason, this is a great example. I remember the beginning of chapter 5 differently, more dramatic that she might be killed, but the king accepts her quickly. Haman is kinda like Hamlet because he waits so long to do something about Mordecai. Why did the king decide to read the records?? Was that normal? The endish of chapter 6 is another incident where the poor gets the prize over the rich. Haman is too proud and thinks the king wants to honor him but it's really Mordecai. The poor king had not idea that Haman was the bad guy, so I don't feel that he is a coward when he goes to the garden. And then, perfect timing to see Haman on the couch with Esther. The king, luckily had sense enough to be angry about that, preserving his wife.
No comments:
Post a Comment