Friday, September 28, 2012

Oxford Genesis 12, 15-18, 21

12: I want to know how Abram felt passing by the land of Canaan.  After God told him the land would belong to his offspring, did Abram stop and take in the view? Did he think to himself, I will fight for my people, and I may not see it with my own eyes, but my children and their children and theirs will be here?  Did he picture the future?  Or was the land barren and a waste?  Did he doubt that God could make the land prosperous?  I just imagine all the things that went through his mind. 
I did not know until our discussion in class that the reason they would kill Abram is to take Sarai as their own because to take a man's wife is adultery.  There's a little guilt thrown in at the end here "so that I may be saved on your account."  Abram did not want to die so he had Sarai follow his plan.  It is very interesting that God plagued Pharaoh's house when it was Abram who lied.  I find it hard to justify that. 

15-18: Abram was beginning to doubt God and his promise of a rightful heir because Abram was very old and so was Sarai.  But the Lord persisted not in explanation, but in a deeper promise towards the stars, and essentially towards heaven.  And again, Abram is not convinced of his possessions.  God then has him go out to find animals of different species and age, cut them in half, and place them on an alter.  I think the darkness symbolizes Abram's disbelief and the smoking fire pot and flame are God's words sealing the covenant. 
Sarai and Abram are both at fault toards Hagar.  Abram first because he "listened to the voice of Sarai" instead of remembering God's promise that his inheritance would come from his own flesh and blood.  I understand that that does not directly mean from Sarai but I think God would have inteneded for it to be proper marriage.  Sarai is at fault because she commanded Hagar to lie with Abram and was angry when Hagar looked upon her with contempt.  If you force someone to have a child, they're going to be mad.  The next part between God and Hagar is very encouraging.  It reminds me that God will always answer our call for help and that he remembers the less fortunate.  His language towards Hagar was very personal so it means a lot more to the servant girl than it would any average person. 
Heehee...the word "Shad" means breasts in Hebrew, it could also be translated into fertility, but breast is more fun to work with.  Imagine the people calling God theLord with Breasts...  But really it was fertility.  Anyway, God continues to tell Abram of his promise and renames him Abraham to be the father of many instead of             .  He makes a new covenant by circumcision, something that is both deeply personal and the sight of the "seed."  I think I would have been in Abraham's same situation when he laughed aloud.  I trust God in all aspects of life, but our human minds cannot always grasp his power, so to cope, our minds laugh.  God was like a father saying "end of discussion" when he "went up" from Abraham.  I think God did not want any more talk of proving it to Abraham, no more doubting. 
That is so neat tha God came to Abraham in three different men.  The fact that he is able to take on a human shape should make everyone who is a believer think twice about what they say and do to everyone because it could be God.  When Sarah hears that she will be pregnant it is because Abraham has not told her.  Abraham is at fault here for the Lord questioning.  Sarah wants to be innocent, which she is not, but it is not her fault that Abraham has yet to tell her the good news or to work on producing that heir. 
It seems as though Abraham is testing God to see how far he would go to save the people of a city.  I do not like Abraham's attitude.  I would have confidence that the Lord would not kill unjustly.  Abraham doubts too much about God's decisions.  Is that because of the views of the Hebrew people?  Do they not believe in God to make the right decisions?

21:Are we suppose to wait 8 days to circumcise?  Like earlier stories, it is interesting to see how old people live.  Are they actually living that long or is it an exaggeration?  I believe they really do live that long because they people they come in contact with need them as a conduit to God.  I don't think there is anything wrong with God allowing man to live for hundreds of years.  In today's society, no one would want to live that long, especially as a Christian.  I'd be ready for heaven once 100 hit.
I find it very rude of Sarah to not want the children to grow up together.  She wants her first born to have ALL the land and her servant, whom she allowed to lie with Abraham, to receive nothing.  I sympathize with Abraham for not knowing what is right to do in that situation.  God however knows all and he calmly told Abraham to send Ishmael away.  The story of Hagar and her son interests me to know how Ishmael will come in contact later with Abraham's decedents.  Is there a symbolism about the bow to have Ishmael become skilled in that area?  I think Abraham knew his way around covenants, so when Abimelech was curious about the seven ewe lambs, Abraham knew exactly what he was doing.  He learned from God how to honestly make a covenant between fellow men.  Something, I think Abraham did not realize he learned from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment