Monday, September 10, 2012

Oxford pg 3-6

Introduction to the Pentateuch
These first five books UNIFY the traditions of Jews and Christians.  There are many things that do not make the Pentateuch a unified book.  The five books are independent.  However, it's second name "Torah" meaning Law or Instruction does unify the books' meaning.
I always felt that the Old Testament was not of much use to our day in age because it contained many practices that we do not have to follow since Christ came to Earth.  But knowing that the people of the OT used the scripture as the way to have a relationship with God, makes my relationship with him so much greater.  I do not have to perform sacrifices or cleans myself when I sin.  The struggles the OT people had to deal with gives me strength in my daily walk.
This book states, "with the rise of rationalism."  That phrase is ironic to me.  Having taken psychology and knowing why people rationalize, makes me not want to believe any of the ideas that leaders have come up with.  They are trying to rationalize something that can probably never be comprehended.  Pigott has pointed out a few contradictions in the Bible to prove that sometimes when we say the Bible never contradicts itself, we are wrong.  This grows on the idea that though the OT has contradictions, its validity should not waiver.

The different sources that created the Bible used different styles because they are different people. I am okay with that.  I have no preconceptions about Moses being the sole author of the Torah.  For others, they might have serious attachments and that's okay, too.

I feel we should focus on both views of the Old Testament.  Not being lukewarm, it is important to look at scripture through different perspectives.  Individual writers brought a specific meaning to one book, but overall, God brought a meaning to the entire Torah.  Looking at a detailed to "big-picture" perspective is not a bad idea.  I believe that sticking with one way or the other might lead to misinterpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment