34: From what I've read this is the first account of rape, but Shechem wants Dinah to be his wife. I understand Jacob's family's anger against him, but he is trying to do the right thing. Why deceitfully ask for something in return for their sister, when they could punish him first? Is it punishment if he thinks he will get the prize in the end? There is no consultation of God or Dinah. It also states that The sons of Jacob answered Shechem, not Jacob himself. This could be the root of the problem because their eyes were blinded by anger and did not have faith in the Lord to deliver justice.
This feud is connected with their tradition of compensation. If someone killed or defiled your family member, justice or payment must be served. The sons of Jacob took it upon themselves to kill all of Shechem's city. They took everything for themselves because of what he did to their sister. Is this right? Is it acceptable because of their customs? Jacob realizes the danger in what they have done, but does not act in any way to change anything. Does this show faith in God that he will protect him or weakness by not teaching his sons the ways of God. If this were to happen today, there would be a lot of dead people.
37: "This is the story of the family of Jacob." I grew up with the story Joseph and the coat of many colors, so I am interested in seeing how my view adds up to the Bible's account. Why would Joseph dig himself a grave? I would not tell my brothers of a dream such as that, but I also think it was part of God's plan because if he had not told them they would not have had reason to be angry later. Ruben, son of Leah, wants to save Joseph's life and return him to their father. This reminds me of the movie Ever After that we watched in the dorm last night. Though there was a daughter who the mother loved more than Cinderella the daughter felt pity on Cinderella and tried to help her any way possible under the radar of their mother. Seeing the notes below, I did not know the robe symbolized royal status. This would be why the brothers continually hate Joseph because he constantly wears the robe plus his dreams of reigning over them. Where was Ruben when they sold him? If he had been there would Joseph not have been sold?
I do not think the brothers anticipated their father's mourning to be so great. I think they felt bad initially seeing him so sad. I find the whole story ironic knowing they are fulfilling the dreams of Joseph, not preventing them.
39: I wonder why Potiphar chose Joseph. Was he the only male slave they were selling, or was there a specific quality that stood out to him? I love that Joseph worked with hands of the Lord and that it was recognized and supported. God was able to move Joseph up the ranks because he was faithful to the Lord. We should be able to transfer this into our own lives and realize if we do our work in the name of the Lord, he will bless us. This passage is so moving and I think over-looked by people who get confused about how to serve the Lord through their work. Again there is a story about how Joseph prevailed over temptation from Potiphar's wife. Though she came everyday he withstood her. This should be an encouragement to men who have struggles towards lust. It does not say Joseph did not struggle dismissing the wife, but he does prevail. It is sad that Potiphar trusted his wife so readily and did not consult Joseph on the subject. But, what would Joseph have said? Would he accuse the wife or take the false blame?
The Lord was with Joseph wherever he wet, even into jail. This chapter is so encouraging to me!
41: When it says there was no one who could interpret them to Pharaoh, does this mean God closed their minds to possibilities or did Pharaoh not accept their interpretations? The cup-bearer remembered Joseph and told Pharaoh. How long had it been since he was released from prison? This is an account that people should take to understand God's timing. I'm sure Joseph did not want to continue in the prison any longer than necessary, but God's timing is always for a reason. Joseph continues to give to the glory of God when others say it is him who can interpret the dreams, Joseph replies it is not him but God. Verse 32 was confusing to me at first but reading it again I understand that it means the dreams will begin shortly. Joseph offers up a plan of action towards the dreams without Pharaoh asking. I think this is a humble but leadership move. He is trying to prove himself to Pharaoh that he can be trusted once more. I think it's odd that Pharaoh simply forgets why he put Joseph in jail in the first place and puts Joseph in power once more over all the land of Egypt. If I were Joseph I would feel a little pressure, but Joseph is a man of God, so I'm sure he had confidence in the Lord. I went to find verse 45b to paste in here and realized that different versions have put the words differently. Our Oxford says, "Joseph gained authority over the land of Egypt." NIV and NKJ state, "Joseph went throughout [all] the land of Egypt." I wonder what the true Hebrew translation is because going out to the land versus gaining authority is very different. Did the people obey him or see him as his brothers had, a favored man? It is not of much significance but I think it's interesting to think about.
Joseph is such a great character. Naming his children after what the Lord has done for him was very humble. Verse 54b states "throughout the land of Egypt there was bread." To me, the bread here symbolizes wealth. I can imagine on the map Egypt growing because of Joseph's wisdom from God and neighboring countries following suit in following the God of Joseph because of his prosperous land. The world bowed down to Joseph just as his dreams said.
45: I would not be able to control myself as Joseph did and state that it was God who brought him to Egypt. I would be angry or prideful towards my siblings, rubbing it in their faces. Good thing it was Joseph and not me. I find it eye-opening all the things people will carry or give to each other, all the animals, weapons, gold and silver. In today's world we give only money, which might translate into land and animals for the Israelites but I feel our hearts are not in the act as much as the heart of Pharaoh and Joseph were in the giving to his brothers. The brothers had lived for so long with this lie about Joseph being killed by a wild animal, so when they tell their father he is slow to believe them. Joseph did not command them to tell the truth about what they did to him to their father, this is mercy I feel he is showing them. He knows seeing him in such great power is punishment enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment