In regard to studying the Greek and Hebrew culture to try and figure out why their differences in the Bible are so great, we had a discussion in class that clarified a lot.
I learned that there were two original "Bibles" but began in different regions. The Egypt-Palestine region began with the 15 extra books, it was later called the Apocrypha. This Bible became the Christian's base. The Babylonian region obtained a Bible that did not include the extra 15 books, for whatever reason. This translation became the Jewish Bible. Way down the road because of translations and doctrine reformation, it became known to these separate groups the difference in text. The Jews rejected the Christian translation, not because of context, but because they were Christians. I am leaving out many important things, but the result of reformation was the elimination of the Apocrypha out of the Christian Bible in the 18th century.
I have never known these extra 15 books existed. To have something that was a part of Christian history be removed only in the last few centuries, tells me that it was very important to God's followers at one time and that I should study it to decide why and if the books should be removed. I don't know how many times I've said that, only because I am excited that there was a missing piece of the puzzle to my faith and I just found it.
No comments:
Post a Comment